The philosophy of the Heritage Physical Education Department is to help student athletes achieve a high level of excellence, both on and off the playing field. The Athletic Department is committed to the growth and success of every student, regardless of their skill level or age, in order to produce the ability to be successful in their selected sport(s).
“Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” 1 Corinthians 9:25
The goal of Physical Education is to prepare students for a lifetime of healthy living. Physical Education for all students in Classes 1 through 8 seeks to train students in areas of activities that will inspire as well as equip them to apply this lifestyle inside as well as outside of the classroom. Heritage believes that the athletic and physical training of students on a regular basis will produce lifelong results that strengthen their bodies, minds, and character through discipline, skills acquisition, consistent practice, self-control, and teamwork.
Through purposeful instruction, Heritage educators monitor the progress of students by building on the foundation of the previous year. By working within the goals of Heritage, the Physical Education program is able to encourage, monitor, and advise students as well as their families on ways to improve, influence, and control a healthy lifestyle.
Over the course of their education at Heritage, students work on developing physical fitness, movement concepts, movement competencies, and self-management.
• The Physical Education program lays a foundation for life skills, exercise expectations, and basic health awareness.
• Curriculum centers on cardiovascular activities that emphasize balance, agility, and basic skill techniques while encouraging the overall enjoyment of staying fit.
• The Physical Education program continues to build on techniques learned in previous years and encourages students to grow in an area of passion or chosen skill.
• Curriculum begins with the transition from skill acquisition to skill performance. Growth is measured both individually and in team-oriented environments.
• The Physical Education program continues to push towards advancing overall mastery of life skills and activities.
• Curriculum focuses on skill performance while emphasizing the goals of healthy lifestyle through exercise, individual performance, team activities, and attainable self-initiated goals.